The decision to move to independent living is an exciting opportunity for you or your loved one to find a new home, meet new people and join a community. Touring a senior living community beforehand and asking the right questions are integral parts of success in the decision process. Communities can differ, and what works for one person might not for the next. This guide will help you find a community tailored to your lifestyle and needs.
Besides being able to see the community for yourself, touring a community will allow you to meet staff and residents, taste the food, and ask plenty of questions. While the decision is ultimately up to you, bringing loved ones along can provide them with peace of mind and a valued second opinion.
As you begin searching communities for your potential new home, here are some tips to keep in mind:
• Make sure the community offers services and activities that match your interests and pace. A lot of this information should be available on a community’s website or shared over a phone call.
• Take some time to identify any private assistance you may need.
• Picking a location close to friends and family can help make the transition to independent living feel more natural and provide more opportunities to stay connected.
• Keep an eye out for a community close to stores and locations that you enjoy visiting, such as a favorite shop, park or neighborhood restaurant.
• Consider your budget for moving to a senior living community. You may find it helpful to sit down with a trusted and experienced financial adviser to create budget parameters before visiting communities.
Once you’ve narrowed down your list of potential communities, the next step is to schedule tours at each one. While touring, it’s important to keep these tips in mind to make sure you find a community that best fits your needs.
- Schedule ahead of time. This will ensure that a staff member is available to assist you during the tour and answer all your questions. Plan to stop by unannounced one more time to see how it is without advance notice.
- Observe how the community is laid out and how they prioritize safety and security. See if the staff seems qualified to handle residents with special care needs and the community has 24/7 care.
- Ask to visit during an activity. This will give you a better perspective of the community culture.
- Get feedback from current residents. This will give you the best insight into what it is like living in a particular community.
- Ask plenty of questions to ensure all your needs will be met.
Asking the right questions during your tour is essential to making sure you find the right community for you. There will be some questions specific to your situation and needs, but here are a few ideas to get you started.
• What kinds of floor plans do you have available?
• What is the monthly cost, and what does it include? Some examples: dining services and the number of meals included, trash pickup, transportation, activities, other services or amenities.
• What amenities are included in the base rate? What services are not included in the base rate, and how much are they? What dining services are available? Are meals included in the monthly fee? How many?
• What health services are available?
• What are your billing and payment policies?
• Does this community allow you to personalize your space?
• What amenities are available to residents, such as an entertainment space, fitness center or library?
• What kinds of activities do you offer? How does this community celebrate the big moments, like birthdays and holidays?
• Do you allow pets?
• What health and safety measures do you have in place to keep residents healthy?
• Are there off-site activities for residents?
• Can I speak with a current resident to hear more about their experience?
• What’s offered for scheduled transportation?
Whether you decide to move now or in a few years, following these recommendations will help you make an informed decision and have a positive experience throughout the process.
Learn more about finding the right community in our E-book here: Finding-the-Right-Community-for-You-Making-the-Move-to-Senior-Living.pdf (solsticeseniorlivingfairport.com).
Interested in exploring Solstice Senior Living communities? Take the first step by visiting Senior Living Communities Near Me │ Solstice Senior Living.
Once you find the right community for you, it’s time to start packing!